Growing Garlic in Alaska

by Mary Hinckley, an Alaska Master Gardener in Tok, Alaska Garlic growing outside. Photo by Mary Hinckley. This is the first year we grew garlic. I realized how little I knew about it when I tried to buy the seed last November. I thought I’d be early enough to get a good selection for this year but found that I was too late to get much of anything. I learned that seed garlic is usually only available between August and September and is often reserved even before the spring harvest. Read More …

My Favorite Alaskan Vegetable Varieties

by Mary Hinkley, an Alaska Master Gardener   In my short gardening career I’ve found some plant varieties I really like and some I don’t think I’ll try again. Following are some of my favorites, with notes about which worked best in a greenhouse or in my garden in Tok, AK. Savoy Cabbage. Photo by Mary Hinkckley. Savoy Cabbage Last year a friend of ours gave us some Savoy cabbage she had grown. I liked the look of it and when I cut it open I knew I wanted to Read More …

How are Seeds Dispersed in Alaska?

A Lesson Plant for Gardening in the Classrooms of Alaska, By Mylinda A. Klein, an Alaskan Master Gardener  Snap Beans. Photo by Heidi Rader.   Subject Area: Science Grade Level: 2nd grade Ideal season for lesson: Fall Materials Required: Various seeds either collected by teacher or by students including an acorn and seeds that have a spine, hooks or a gooey coating. Chipmunk stuffed animal “Seeds: Pop-Stick-Glide’ by Patricia Lauber  Chatty Chipmunk’s Nutty Day bySuzanne Gruber   Goals and Outcomes Students will be able to identify at least three methods Read More …

Garbage for Your Garden

by Laura Emerson, an Alaskan Master Gardener   The following is written particularly for those who don’t have a compost for their gardens or if you have a tiny yard or just a patio or balcony with plants on it.    Take NOTE; Take HEART: Even without composting, there are many ways that your flowers and vegetables can benefit from much of the garbage your kitchen accumulates (see alphabetical list below). (I invite other master gardeners to add to this posting). Free. Available. Non-toxic. Gets rid of garbage. What’s not Read More …

Edible Flowers in Alaska

A Lesson Plan for Gardening in Classroom in Alaska, By Amber Reece, An Alaskan Master Gardener Subject Area: Art and Writing Grade Level: Grade 3 Ideal Season For Lesson: Fall Nasturtiums are a spicy, edible flower. Photo by Heidi Rader. Time to Complete Lesson: 90 minutes, divided into three activities Materials Required: Chart paper or other media for recording class discussions Hand drawn flowering squash poster Prepared observation recoding forms (1 per student) Assorted edible flowers such as nasturtiums, pansies, squash flowers, lilies, broccoli, cauliflower Drawing paper and drawing supplies Writing Read More …

“Handy” Parts of a Plant

A Lesson Plan for Gardening in Classrooms in Alaska, by Cheryl Illg, an Alaskan Master Gardener   Subject Area: Writing/Reading/Science Appropriate Grade Level: Grade 2 Ideal season for lesson: Spring Time to complete lesson: 2-3 hours, in four activities that can be divided over several days, if desired. An Asiatic Lily. Photo by Heidi Rader. Materials Required:  From Seed to Plant (Rookie Read About Science) by Allan Fowler From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle Construction paper scissors pencils yarn glue lily or other Read More …

What Do Plants Need to Grow?

A Lesson Plan for Gardening in the Classroom in Alaska, by Cheryl Illg, An Alaska Master Gardener Subject Area: Writing/Reading/Math Grade Level: K-3 Ideal season for lesson: Spring Time needed to facilitate lesson: 1 hour to plant seeds and make first observation. Then there will be several weeks of observation, measurements and documentation. The young surviving plants may then be transplanted outdoors into a garden or planter box to grow for the summer once there is no more chance of frost. Usually June 1st in the south and central parts Read More …

Good vs. Bad Bugs in the Alaskan Garden

A Lesson Plan for Gardening in the Classroom in Alaska, By Shawna Sastamoinen, an Alaskan Master Gardener Subject Area: Science  Grade Level: 3rd  Ideal Season: Fall or Late Spring  Time to complete lesson: About 3 to 4 hours. Additional time will be needed to complete the Curricular Connections/Extension Activities.  Suggested Materials: Specific materials from the Cooperative Extension website are suggested for use in each section where they apply. See bibliography for more pictures and ideas.  Goal and Outcomes: After completing this lesson, students should be able to identify good and Read More …