Make Your Own Wild Game Stock, It’s Easy!

With the shorter days and snow on the ground, hearty soups and stews are often on the menu. A good stock is the foundation of these recipes as well as the base for many sauces and gravies. If you hunt game meat, or know someone who does, don’t let those wonderful bones go to waste. Making your own stock from moose, caribou, or beef is surprisingly simple. A wild game stock can be used in any recipe that calls for chicken or beef stock or even water. You will need Read More …

Simply Smoked Salmon

Everyone in Alaska smokes salmon, right? It’s in our blood. We just know what to do. Chances are you have a section in the food preservation department of the garage that is dedicated to salmon smoking paraphernalia. This department we visit throughout the year to replenish jars or stash more Food Saver bags when we find them on sale, but at a minimum we take inventory right before the salmon runs are expected so we aren’t caught short handed. There’s nothing worse than having fresh salmon ready to brine, running Read More …

Slim Jim’s Lima Beans and Ham

For my choice of recipes that utilize some of the things I’ve grown this season, I went with one I like to make in the fall and winter to help fend off the chill and that’s Lima beans and ham. In this recipe I get to use some of my home grown carrots and garlic that grew this summer. In the past, I’ve even included some Yukon Gold potatoes in the recipe, but they are optional. I always try to do an overnight soak for my dried one pound of Read More …

Pemmican is a Simple and Inexpensive High-Energy Food

What is Pemmican? Native Americans needed a simple and reliable source of high-energy food packed with lots and lots of calories in order to sustain their outdoor lifestyle, so they developed pemmican. Today, persons who live and work in the outdoors can burn up to 4500 calories per day; therefore, a food source which is light, concentrated and has a long shelf-life is essential for those of us who wish to travel on foot in the bush. Hunters, trappers, fishermen, miners, hikers, cross-country skiers and anybody who burns a lot Read More …