Seward’s Garden Climate Zone

Seward Climate

I am currently not a resident of Alaska but have lived in Anchorage previously for several years. I raised a garden in every one of those years. However, because my husband and I thought we might consider retiring somewhere in Alaska I wanted to do some research on where would be best based on the longest growing season. I found that Seward, Alaska has the longest frost-free growing season in southern Alaska. From mid to end of April through September and possibly mid-October. The climate zone according to the USDA is 6b to 7a. See table below and the USDA map here.

Low Temperatures

Challenges I will have growing a garden in Seward will be the usual for Alaska and that is low temperatures and cold soil. I’ve been to Seward many times and remember the wind blowing so plants will have to be protected. Raised beds can help warm the soil quicker. Cabbage, chard and other greens can be grown outside similar to the picture above. A greenhouse will be a must for my favorites such as tomatoes, cucumbers, and beans. I love the fact that Alaska has so many wild berries so I don’t have to grow those. Delicious! I just have to beat the bears to them. Yikes!

Slugs

Slugs love rainy parts of Alaska and I am sure Seward is no exception. So I have my diatomaceous earth ready for dusting and garden gloves ready for picking.

I am currently not a resident of Alaska but have lived in Anchorage previously for several years. I raised a garden in every one of those years. However, because my husband and I thought we might consider retiring somewhere in Alaska I wanted to do some research on where would be best based on the longest growing season. I found that Seward, Alaska has the longest frost-free growing season in southern Alaska. From mid to end of April through September and possibly mid-October. The climate zone according to the USDA is 6b to 7a. See USDA map here.

Challenges I will have growing a garden in Seward will be the usual for Alaska and that is low temperatures and cold soil. I’ve been to Seward many times and remember the wind blowing so plants will have to be protected. A greenhouse will be a must for tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, and broccoli. I love the fact that Alaska has so many wild berries so I don’t have to grow those. Delicious! I just have to beat the bears to them. Yikes!

Below is climate information for Seward (nearest weather station).

Normals for years: 1981 – 2010; USDA Plant Hardiness Zones: 6b to 7a

About clfinney

Share this.