Monthly Archives: June 2016

Savage Gardening: Keeping Carnivorous Plants Alive

Almost every time I go to Lowe’s I see Venus fly traps or pitcher plants for sale. Last week a colleague asked about mine–mainly how do I keep them alive? His…

Opportunity of a Lifetime: How I Came to be the Manager of a School District Greenhouse in Tok, Alaska

Looking For Direction and Purpose We’ve all heard of people obtaining their dream job, but finding and getting my own seemed a long shot. Over the course of my adult life…

Gardening in the Classroom

LEARNING FROM THE GROUND UP   Some of the best gardeners are children. They bring a curiosity and excitement unmatched by the grown garden enthusiast. Most schools have started gardening…

My Corny Experiment

A friend of mine worked on a very extensive winter sowing project. So extensive she had plenty of seedlings to share. After seeing what she ended up producing, I am…

Mosquito Repellent Plants: Help or Hype?

Pest Control from a Different Angle

Bonding with employees while gardening for a local food pantry

Plant a Row for the Hungry I own a small business in East Anchorage.  My business has absolutely nothing to do with gardening but we all love to eat and enjoy…

One Species, Many Vegetables – An Introduction to Artificial Selection

Brassica oleracea — An introduction to artificial selection Subject area: Biological Science — 6-8th grade Season: Best in early fall when Brussels sprouts attached to stem would be available and…

Sensory Gardens for Children With Special Needs

I am a Teacher’s Assistant in a Life Skills 2 classroom. The majority of our students are on the Autism Spectrum and are non-verbal.  There are many challenges working with…

Easy way to water with a Flow-Through Planter

Collecting garden ideas over the years has evolved into an efficient raised bed watering system. The initial concept came from an article in our electrical cooperative’s monthly magazine, Ruralite. At…