Monthly Archives: June 2016

Sprouting Hearts: Instilling a love for gardening in foster kids in Wasilla Alaska

Twenty years ago I would have laughed at you if you said I’d be that lady standing in the middle of a garden with my sun hat, bending over and…

Yarrow, more than your common weed!

Stop and enjoy the roadside weeds! Not only did we name our daughter after this elegant wildflower but have learned that it is quite the miracle worker when used as a…

3R Potatoes or… What Do You Do When the Kitchen Gives You a Case of Sprouting Potatoes?

I love trying new things and learning. More importantly, I love learning alongside my students.  This was my second year of teaching in Nenana.  I teach Life Skills and Art…

From Rubbish To Radishes

Growing up in rural Missouri, I never imagined myself ever living in rural Alaska and though there are plenty of differences, my childhood experiences have certainly prepared me for, even…

Hunting the Hawk(weed)

Upon purchasing our land, our terra-knowledgeable neighbor informed us that he has Hieracium aurantiacum, aka Orange Hawkweed, growing on his property so it’s likely we do as well.  Not knowing…

Making a Bee Friendly Garden in Alaska

Insects are nature’s pollinators. As a gardener there are things we can do to encourage bee populations and visitation. There’s no reason not to encourage bees to visit your garden….

Hands Up for More Veggies

FOOD FOR THOUGHT     As I look back I smile at the memory and the expression of enjoyment on the faces of the young students and their raised hands as I asked if they wished for more….

The Great Tomato Fiasco of 2015 or How I Sweltered My Way to Wisdom

2015 In autumn 2014, my partner built us a “sunroom” off the side of our house in Kenai, Alaska. He intended to use it for storage; I intended to fill…

Bees are cool…but in my garden?

I was not ready for a garden this season. My life is in a state of transition and I am without gardening space of my own. In spite of that,…