Monthly Archives: July 2016

Growing Media Literacy with Garden Foods

Subject Area: Language Arts Appropriate Grade Level: 3rd, 4th or 5th grade Ideal season for lesson: Late Summer, Early Fall Suggested materials: Magazine and newspaper ads (or access to the…

Adventure in Apartment Gardening: Containers for the Busy and Mildly Forgetful

What lead me to apartment gardening: I grew up having a garden, white picket fence and all. As I became an adult and ultimately ended up living in an apartment,…

Growing Garlic in Alaska

Growing beautiful and tasty garlic in Southcentral Alaska is easy and fun! I now grow so much that I have enjoyed giving it as gifts.  The dried bunches are very…

If You Can’t Beat ‘Em Join ‘Em

Our house was built in 1991. A cute little cottage on five beautifully wooded acres in the foothills of Lazy Mt. According to our neighbors, the original owners had landscaped…

Friendly Composting Redworms

Lesson Objective – Students will learn what redworms utilized for vermiculture eat and the conditions necessary for their survival. Subject Area – Life Science Grade Level – Grade 6 through…

Lessons in the garden for the teacher

After the hustle and bustle of a school year, I often find myself in the garden unwinding and thinking about all that happened and how to make things better for…

If gardening brings me a bushel of peace—I’ll take it!

An unknown author reportedly said, “Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes.” I appreciate this because I am a psychologist, however, it is truly my goal to be…

Greenhouse Tomatoes in Galena

Starting the Process… While being surrounded by family and friends that garden, this summer finds me having endeavored into the art of growing a small variety of tomatoes for the…