Monthly Archives: October 2017

Our First Year Gardening, Mistakes and Accomplishments

My wife and I purchased our first home in August of 2016 located in Fairbanks, Alaska. The property included 10 acres of land. Most of the land is treed but…

Farming on the Livingston Homestead in Cold Bay, Alaska

Farming on the Livingston Homestead in Cold Bay, Alaska In this short article, I recall what it was like to farm on my family’s homestead in Cold Bay on the…

Pollinator on Primula

We Grew It! Sustainable Agriculture in the Southeast Island School District

Southeast Island School District The Southeast Island School District (SISD) covers 7 communities on Prince of Wales Island, Port Alexander on Baranof Island, and Hyder next to the Canadian border….

Seed Starting, a review of “The New Seed Starters Handbook” by Nancy Bubel

This 1988 publication is as relevant today as it was 30 years ago. The book is arranged in four sections, Starting Seeds Indoors, Moving Plants Outside, Special Techniques and Situations,…

Spice Up Your Garden with Nasturtiums

If you are looking for a striking annual that flourishes in Alaska and doubles as a culinary delight, you may consider giving nasturtiums a try. By following a few simple…

Lemon Grass: Superhero Among Herbs

When I worked in garden centers down South there was one particular herb that was always in demand: lemongrass. I turned away customers on a regular basis because my vendors…

Seeds and Sprouts Lesson Plan K-3

Seeds and Sprouts Lesson Plan Sprouts are an easy to grow food source that is an inexpensive and simple way to provide fresh greens and their nutrients in the winter…

Book Review: “The One-Straw Revolution: An Introduction to Natural Farming” by Masanobu Fukuoka

“The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.” – Masanobu Fukuoka As a 15-year old I moved from rural…