Making Peace with Green Tomatoes

Photo by Author

I used to be so angry when summer ended and I would have so many green (unripe) tomatoes. Now I accept, and embrace the bounty of green fruit. I will share with you some tips of ripening these green tomatoes, and then recipes for the ones that never turn.

The Ripening

There are a few different options to ripen a tomato. You could cut your whole plant down, with tomatoes still attached, and hang in your garage or crawl space. Another option is to pick all your green tomatoes and put them in a bag or cardboard box with a banana, close it up, and store it in a warm location such as the top of your refrigerator. Make sure you check your tomatoes on a regular basis to be sure they are not molding.

The Cooperative Extension has a wonderful article on green tomatoes called A Harvest of Green Tomatoes.

The Truth

The most prized part of this blog is the delicious recipes. I will be honest with you, I try to ripen tomatoes and subsequently give up when November comes around. Due to my inability to produce red tomatoes at the end of the season, I get to reap the benefits of my garden with its green tomatoes when the snow is flying.

The Recipes

If you’ve spent any time in the South, you know how much Southern folks like their green tomatoes. Since I married a Southern guy, I’ve been exposed to some delicious recipes that I know are tried and true. Just click on the link for each recipe.

Tomato Pie

Photo by Author

You can’t go wrong with Tomato Pie. Here is the trick; substitute green tomatoes for red which results in the perfect amount of tartness to compliment the creaminess of the cheese and mayonnaise.

Green Tomato Ketchup

My cousin works for a restaurant in the South, so she was kind enough to share her secret recipe for Green Tomato Ketchup.

½ c Apple Cider Vinegar

½ c Brown Sugar

½ c White Sugar

1 tsp Salt

1 Onion

2 ½ Pounds Green Tomatoes

1 Cinnamon Stick

3 Cloves

3 Allspice

Simmer all together. Remove the cinnamon stick, cloves and allspice and then puree.

Pickled Green Tomatoes

Photo by Author

Last but not least Picked Green Tomatoes. This delicious topping is great on some mac and cheese or delicious by itself.

With these tips and recipes you can now welcome your bounty of green tomatoes when the season ends and look forward to cooking a delicious Tomato Pie come next November.

About Slugslayer

Share this.