School-wide composting; why isn’t it happening!?

“You can solve a lot of the world’s problems if you do school right.” (unknown author) As a principal, I get a bird’s eye view of the many moving parts associated with operating a school. From instructional programs and curriculum, to facility and food service management (and everything else in-between; PTA’s, personnel, standards, assessment, discipline, athletics/clubs, scheduling, special education, purchasing, staff & student travel, professional development, etc., etc.); they all interact to produce your local educational system. More importantly though, is what that “system” outputs; that is, the quality of Read More …

Indoor air quality and plants–clear as smoke?

I’ve been thinking a lot about air quality lately. When I look out my cabin window, the familiar mountains are veiled behind a thick, smoky haze. For most of us, you don’t need to look at a map these days to know that Alaska is on fire. One glance out the window, one breath through your nose and it is obvious that the beautiful, hot, and dry spring created the perfect conditions for wildfires. Whether near or far, the fires in Alaska will affect each and every one of us Read More …

Japanese Mugwort-culinary delights

What is the Japanese Mugwort? Japanese Mugwort is a flavorful perennial herb that has green, fuzzy, finely cut leaves. The hardy plant thrives in most climates and is traditionally used in eastern medicine. I am interested in Asian vegetables and herbs. I have Japanese Mugwort in my garden. I have started this Mugwort from seed. Seeds were bought from Kitazawa Seed Company* and this is the third year I am harvesting. I just harvested this Mugwort and am going to make it into powder and then bake Mugwort bread. Cultivation Read More …

Before and After : 2 quick season extension tips

My quest for extending the growing season began after my move to Alaska in 2001. Raised in the Midwest I grew up eating tomatoes on the vine, toasted tomato sandwiches, and canning bushels of tomatoes. After all, tomatoes are SO easy to grow and very plentiful — right? Well, I see the smile on your knowing faces because after I moved to Alaska it took me nearly a decade to taste my first fresh tomatoes from the vine, and mind you it was not a plentiful bounty. A few years Read More …

Starting Seeds in Sprouting Jars

Every spring, when I am lucky enough to be able to garden, it’s a race against time to get seeds or starts in the ground at the earliest possible moment, that is, as soon as the soil is dry enough and it is late enough to escape losing everything to a hard frost. Additionally, the garden needs to be ready to plant. Outside plots, beds and buckets need to be prepared. In a perfect world, it would be like a symphony with every task perfectly organized and timed to be Read More …

Radical Rhubarb: Why is all of my rhubarb going to seed?!

I have grown up in a family of rhubarb fanatics! The sweet taste in pies, jams, and cakes is just the way to wake your body up after a long, dark winter. Recently, the rhubarb that I have growing has been flowering very frequently. I can go out a pull seed heads off of nearly every plant and it has always puzzled me (as well as frustrated me to no end). I have also had many friends post pictures on social media of their rhubarb going to seed asking “What Read More …

Gardening in the Snow

In April, when the average temperature hovers around 20 above, and the snow glistens in the 12 hour sunlight, arctic gardeners like to start their seeds. Throughout the year, we wash out yogurt containers, sour cream and cottage cheese containers save egg cartons, paper towel tubes, and even those clear plastic takeout containers. We start seeds because the nearest greenhouse is 600 air miles away and we can’t afford to wait for the weather. While the kids are ice fishing, my husband and I set up two folding tables next Read More …

Growing your Scientific Method Lesson Plan

Lesson Plan Title: Grow your scientific method. Concept / Topic To Teach: The Scientific method Standards Addressed: The student demonstrates an understanding of the processes of science by [8] SA1.1 asking questions, predicting, observing, describing, measuring, classifying, making generalizations, inferring, and communicating* [8] SA1.2 collaborating to design and conduct repeatable investigations, in order to record, analyze (i.e., range, mean, median, mode), interpret data, and present findings (L)* General Goal(s): The student will be able to design, carry out, a critique a scientific experiment. Specific Objectives: The student will be able Read More …

Worm composting for dummies

The average American tosses about 25% of food and beverages purchased according to a report by the National Resources Defense Council. While this can be cut down by better food planning, recipe selection, and food storage, throwing food in the garbage is sometimes unavoidable. Instead of putting all of my cauliflower stocks, egg shells, and coffee grounds in the plastic garbage bag I decided to try composting instead. Its the 4th R, reduce, reuse, recycle, and ROT. I limited my choices to homemade aerobic compost or worm compost. Here is Read More …