Monthly Archives: June 2015

School-wide composting; why isn’t it happening!?

“You can solve a lot of the world’s problems if you do school right.”  (unknown author) As a principal, I get a bird’s eye view of the many moving parts…

Indoor air quality and plants—clear as smoke?

I’ve been thinking a lot about air quality lately. When I look out my cabin window, the familiar mountains are veiled behind a thick, smoky haze. For most of us,…

Japanese Mugwort-culinary delights

What is the Japanese Mugwort? Japanese Mugwort is a flavorful perennial herb that has green, fuzzy, finely cut leaves. The hardy plant thrives in most climates and is traditionally used…

Before and After : 2 quick season extension tips

My quest for extending the growing season began after my move to Alaska in 2001. Raised in the Midwest I grew up eating tomatoes on the vine, toasted tomato sandwiches,…

Starting Seeds in Sprouting Jars

Every spring, when I am lucky enough to be able to garden, it’s a race against time to get seeds or starts in the ground at the earliest possible moment, that…

Radical Rhubarb: Why is all of my rhubarb going to seed?!

I have grown up in a family of rhubarb fanatics! The sweet taste in pies, jams, and cakes is just the way to wake your body up after a long,…

Gardening in the Snow, sometimes.

In April, when the average temperature hovers around 20 above, and the snow glistens in the 12 hour sunlight, arctic gardeners like to start their seeds.  Throughout the year, we…

Growing your Scientific Method Lesson Plan

Lesson Plan Title: Grow your scientific method. Concept / Topic To Teach: The Scientific method Standards Addressed:   The student demonstrates an understanding of the processes of science by [8] SA1.1…

Worm composting for dummies

The average American tosses about 25% of food and beverages purchased according to a report by the National Resources Defense Council. While this can be cut down by better food…