Monthly Archives: June 2015

Building an Elevated Bed (off the ground) Part 1 of 3

The beds I will build are actually 3 feet by 9 feet by about 9 inches deep and the tops of them are about 3 feet off the ground. This…

Building an Elevated Bed (off the ground) Part 2 of 3

Safety Tip: Always wear safety glasses when working with tools that could make something “fly” around. That actually means anytime your are using tools whether hand or power. You only…

Building an Elevated Bed (off the ground) Part 3 of 3

Safety Tip: Always wear safety glasses when working with tools that could make something “fly” around. That actually means anytime your are using tools whether hand or power. You only…

How to find out how much you “don’t know about greenhouse gardening”.

A few years ago when I was getting close to retirement I was excited to begin my new life by spending time in the garden.  For my birthday my sweet…

Quirky Alaska Greenhouse Tomatoes

I have to admit, I didn’t like tomatoes before my husband built a greenhouse for me 6 years ago. He grew up on the sweet tomatoes his father grew in…

Crops in Pots – A Book Review

Are you limited in available space to plant a garden, but still want to grow your own fresh veggies, fruits, and herbs? This book can help. Crops in Pots by…

“Outside the Box” Gardening

Some summers are meant for gardens that only a long Alaskan winter can inspire.  They are well planned beauties that encompass every bit of space your yard (and sometimes the…

What deadheading means for your plants

Deadheading is a technique used to prolong flowering in some annuals. By removing flowers past their prime and before seed production, energy will be directed toward producing more buds. This…

All About Potatoes- Lesson Plan

Materials: 10- 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled on the bottoms and lower sides for drainage 5 bags of soil 20-25 seed potatoes (depending on # of students) After harvest:…