Building an Elevated Bed (off the ground) Part 1 of 3

The beds I will build are actually 3 feet by 9 feet by about 9 inches deep and the tops of them are about 3 feet off the ground. This width lets you easily reach the center of the box from either side for planting, weeding, and harvesting. The height of three feet allows you to use a tall stool to sit on to do the chores required. Materials: (cost of the materials is about $130) (2) 2x12x12 construction grade pine, hemlock, or fir.             Read More …

Building an Elevated Bed (off the ground) Part 2 of 3

Safety Tip: Always wear safety glasses when working with tools that could make something “fly” around. That actually means anytime your are using tools whether hand or power. You only have one set of eyes, protect them. Next cut 5 pieces of 2×2, 36 inches long. Be sure to clamp the 2×2 to the box before you cut. This is much easier than holding it and much safer even if you are using a handsaw. These will be cross supports for the box. Next we will cut the legs. Treated Read More …

Building an Elevated Bed (off the ground) Part 3 of 3

Safety Tip: Always wear safety glasses when working with tools that could make something “fly” around. That actually means anytime your are using tools whether hand or power. You only have one set of eyes, protect them. Next finish setting the 2×2 attached to the ends of the box. Drill three pilot holes on each end of the box into the 2×2. One in the center and approximately 1/3 of the way to each end. Complete the attachment by fastening with 3″ screws through each pilot hole. Now you need Read More …

How to find out how much you “don’t know about greenhouse gardening”.

A few years ago when I was getting close to retirement I was excited to begin my new life by spending time in the garden. For my birthday my sweet husband bought me a 6 x 8 greenhouse. I thought “awesome”. I’ve been gardening in Alaska (in the interior) for many years so this will be a piece of cake. When I started the greenhouse this spring, I soon found out how much I really didn’t know. So, to hopefully save you some anxiety I’ve put together a few things Read More …

Quirky Alaska Greenhouse Tomatoes

I have to admit, I didn’t like tomatoes before my husband built a greenhouse for me 6 years ago. He grew up on the sweet tomatoes his father grew in California and compared all others to those. I planted them initially for him, then I tasted my first homegrown cherry tomato and I was hooked. My unheated greenhouse is an 8×8 structure with clear Tuftex corrugated polycarbonate roof panels. My husband wanted panels that wouldn’t yellow and would allow the most light possible to pass. There is a 70 CFM Read More …

Crops in Pots – A Book Review

Are you limited in available space to plant a garden, but still want to grow your own fresh veggies, fruits, and herbs? This book can help. Crops in Pots by Bob Purnell, describes how to plan, plant, and grow vegetables, fruits, and herbs in easy-care containers. Book Overview The book is broken into three main sections: starters, main courses, and desserts. In all, it presents 50 specific project ideas describing how to grow fruit, vegetables, and herbs in various containers. Each of these 50 projects includes a list of equipment Read More …

“Outside the Box” Gardening

Some summers are meant for gardens that only a long Alaskan winter can inspire. They are well planned beauties that encompass every bit of space your yard (and sometimes the neighbor’s) can sustain. If you are like me and have just moved and are spending every waking moment working like a mad woman to get the inside of your home in order before the fish come in and the berries are on, smaller scale gardening is a must. The home we are in does not have any raised boxes, or Read More …

What deadheading means for your plants

Deadheading is a technique used to prolong flowering in some annuals. By removing flowers past their prime and before seed production, energy will be directed toward producing more buds. This ensures your plant will continue to flower for the entire season. In some cases, removing some of the extra buds can create larger blooms. Flowers do not necessarily have to be dead before removing. After blooming, the flowers can be cut for use in arrangements. If your flowers are outdoors, this is a great way to liven up your indoor Read More …

All About Potatoes – Lesson Plan

Materials: 10 – 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled on the bottoms and lower sides for drainage 5 bags of soil 20-25 seed potatoes (depending on # of students) After harvest: Large pot or crock pot depending on recipe Procedure: Students will each receive a seed potato to plant one at a time in the buckets with the soil provided. About 2 inches of soil at the bottom of the bucket, plant potato seeds and fill bucket with soil. Volunteer students can take this home and water them over the Read More …