Monthly Archives: August 2016

Touring Gardens for Design Inspiration

The Hook Last week I was lucky enough to stumble onto an article previewing the local garden tour.  Emphasis on preview because I had not yet missed the tour.  As I…

From Bickles to Zickles

Every Alaskan gardener eventually runs up against the end of the season and a plethora of produce.Then comes the problem of what to do with it to actually get people…

City Girl Gone—How I Became an Alaska Gardener

RAISED BY CITY PEOPLE Raised by Amsterdam Dutch parents in Seattle, I grew up in a landscape surrounded by flowers. My family bought food fresh and in small quantities from…

Sometimes we just need a little inspiration…

Years ago, I was a late comer to a marvelous children’s book called The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, who also wrote A Little Princess, which was made into…

Baby Powder Bug Repellent

Years ago I was an estate gardener on the Texas Gulf Coast, in Houston Texas to be exact. I worked on a property that was near a slow-moving, mosquito-generating body…

A Gardener Wears Many Hats: Entomology In The Garden

A Good Defense Someone recently said to me, “A gardener wears many hats.”  I thought of this when I was doing some reading for a quiz for the Alaska Master…

Tank tops, flip flops, and greenhouse-free tomatoes

Climate change is no joke, and I am certainly no expert on the subject. Many of us have read various reports, observations, and predictions about the consequences of a changing…

All in the Family: Propagating a unique variety of Colorado Blue Spruce from cuttings

My father-in-law is a long time wholesale nursery owner in Oregon.  He learned the trade from his nurseryman uncle, who also inspired the Waconda Blue, a variety of the Colorado blue…

My Version of Companion Planting

People may say, “I did this…” or “I built this…”, but do they really mean they did it all alone, by themselves, with no help? “I can do things you…