Monthly Archives: December 2018

Raspberry Muffins – A Battle for Berries

Fresh Alaskan berries are a hot commodity in my house, and if you don’t squirrel away your portion of the berries as soon as you get home from picking…

A Family Tradition in the Kitchen

Family Gatherings There is nothing better than a family gathering where food is shared, stories are told, and traditions are passed down. Holidays seem to be a good time for…

Tofu and Kale Scramble: Part of a Simple Life

Choices to be Made: An Introduction Fast friendly author Julie Montagu, the Flexi Foodie, has several amazing books about superfoods. Superfoods Superfast features 100 energizing recipes to make in 20…

Red Cabbage Kraut Brightens a Winter Plate

When winter gets dark and the vegetables sitting on the supermarket shelf seem somewhat sad, sauerkraut is a beautiful and healthy addition to your plate.  In Anchorage, you can buy…

Alaskan Carrot Cake. . .Dogs Love It!

Every summer I look forward to purchasing Alaskan grown carrots when they show up at farmer’s markets then local grocery stores. Also, each winter I’m unreasonably sad when the commercial supply…

The Scrumptious Scramble

One day I was hungry so I looked around the kitchen and found that there were eggs, potatoes, garlic and cheddar cheese, so I made them into a delicious scramble….

Mom’s Raspberry Rhubarb Pie

The first recipe that comes to mind is the raspberry rhubarb pie that I make with Mom’s pastry. So I just HAVE to include the pie crust recipe too. Mom…

Homely Potato Soup

No, that’s not a ‘title typo’, while this potato soup is ‘homey’ it is also a great way to use up those random ‘homely’ potatoes we end up with while…

Rose Hip Syrup To Cure Your Winter Woes

As summer quickly turns into fall, the wild roses shed their petals in exchange for the beautiful cherry fruits called rose hips. The sight of rose hips blanketing the bushes is…